Wednesday 11 February 2009

Right tool for the job


From Jason. I love him:

It’s very important to have the right kit for the job, as my wife says, “a right tool for the job”, or something like that. In fact, whilst I mention the wife, I recently overheard her talking on the phone to a friend about my impending birthday, “that knob's getting fork oil from me”. It’s amazing, I’d not even mentioned that I was planning on rebuilding my forks. I feel guilty now though, cos I may have led her to believe that for her birthday she’ll be getting a custom Harley WL, when I promised her a rigid chopper. Ahem…. Anyway where was I?

I recently needed to replace the chain on my Triumph which meant a trip to my local motorcycle emporium, B&Q. For those unfamiliar with this motorcycle megastore let me tell you it’s great, although why they feel it necessary to sell some of the unrelated bike stuff I’ll never know. Having taken advice from Stan, the 85 year old sales assistant, I purchased a tool called ‘chain saw’ to aid removal of the old chain. Whilst I was browsing I found a product called, No More Nails. Sounds great for those of us blighted with punctures, so I thought I’d try some. They also have some quality switchgear, which it says here that if fitted by a qualified electrician I’ll get a 10 year NHBC guarantee, fantastic. Take note Ducati…

Having now spent the last 3 hours at home carrying out the rather messy job of filling my tyres with 12 tubes of No More Nails and believe me it is messy, almost like glue you might say, the job is now complete. I guess it’s early days, but so far this afternoon, I am pleased to report no punctures.

The ‘chain saw’ seems quite aggressive during use, but after no time at all it cut through the old chain and part of the swing arm and tyre too. Ooops. Good job I’d carried out the ‘No More Nails’ job first or else I could have had a puncture as well.

Jason

1 comment:

Mick P said...

Jason, that's a very amusing yarn. I was chuckling away. If you don't write professionally, you should. Actually, on second thoughts, please don't.