Friday 13 March 2009

Santa Pod 1967




Drag racing normally isn't in the Sideburn blog remit, but we love these photos, that Mick Phillips turned up (at the VMCC), so much we had to share them. Twin engined Villiers two-stroke, mod wear plus some rockers in the most comical Dick Emery wear. This, in two or three photos is why I love England. Yes, California has/had it all, dry lakes, PCH, Pomona, Ascot, blah, blah, but the absolute guileless charm of that lanky streak of piss rocker in bus driver-cum-Brando hat is unbeatable.
I've promised to take my lad to Santa Pod this year. I cannot wait now.
Cheers Mick, you made my day.
GI

1 comment:

Mick P said...

"I'll 'ave you Butler!"

A pleasure. Apparently, this was the first bikes-only meet at Santa Pod, which, our American friends might be amused to know, derives its Stateside-style name from a nearby village in rural Bedfordshire. Taking your bike down the strip at Poddington doesn't have quite the same ring to it.